The Wedding Legalities

What paperwork does the couple need to fill out?

The paperwork required for a legal marriage is as follows:

  • Form 13 – Notice of Intended Marriage.
    This needs to be lodged a minimum of a month prior to your wedding date. We can fill this out together as soon as you have made your booking with me.
  • Form 14 – Declaration
    Completed with me at your rehearsal, or a few days prior to your wedding day.
  • Form 15 – Couples Certificate
    This is a certificate of your marriage that we will sign on your wedding day. This is not your legal marriage certificate, however can be used for photos and for you to take home.
  • Form 16 – Marriage Certificate
    This is signed during your ceremony by yourselves, your witnesses and me. I send Form 13, 14 and 16 to Births, Deaths and Marriages to register your marriage within two weeks of your wedding date.

What do we need to do to complete these forms?
You will need to provide the following documents in order to complete Form 13 (Notice):

Identification – Original Birth Certificates (or Original Extracts). If you were born overseas, a passport is fine also.

If you have been previously married, you will need to supply divorce papers or death certificate.

You will need to have two witnesses organised to be present at your ceremony, and sign your marriage certificate. They must be over 18 years of age.

Do we need to complete these forms with you?
You are able to complete the Notice without me and post it to me if we are not able to easily meet. The notice can be witnessed by a Police Officer, Justice of the Peace, Solicitor, Barrister, Medical Doctor, or another authorised Marriage Celebrant.

Is there any paperwork we need to complete after our wedding?
From two weeks after your wedding date, you can apply for your marriage certificate here:

How do I change my surname after I am married?
Once you have received your official Marriage Certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages (apply for you certificate here: you can use this certificate to change your name on your passport, drivers licence etc. You will need to contact each organisation to do so.